A Fair Price For a Farmer’s Milk
taking on board all of the things i’ve learned from this experience i cannot wait to start on the second coursework, and i will put everything i have learnt into making it the very best it can be.
I have learned:
-you can never plan enough for a situation
-always look over what you have already so that you can re-shoot in the time you have left
-research is very important, research your film techniques etc
-record high quality audio at the same time as filming
overall i am fairly happy with what i have achieved in the end, the documentary didnt quite turn out the way i wanted it too but i think that it does enough to satisfy what i wanted from this project. Obviously i had a lot of things went wrong, especially with my audio, i worked tirelessly to try and get the best i could with that i had and i think i’ve done an alright job in the end. i am also fairly pleased with the shots that i got, and actually in the end up i went with my first time-lapse for the start instead of the second one, mainly because i think the flickering on my second try, although the images are of better quality, detracts the viewer from what is actually happening on screen.
i learnt some valuable lessons about making a timelapse of the sunrise. i didnt expect the results i got, even though i was on manual my settings changed for me which i wasn’t too happy about, this made the timelapse flicker and change brightness. These are all things to remember for future work :)
Treatment = Done!
Finished my treatment and I now have a pretty solid plan of where I am going with this documentary. The title being “A fair price for a farmers milk”, telling a story of how small family farms such as mine are being squeezed to the point where it no longer becomes a profitable business because supermarkets are paying so little for the milk they buy from british dairy farmers, and in the end up they have the dairy industry in a chokehold.
A Fair Price For a Farmer’s Milk?
Think I’ll go with this idea for my documentary, its something I know a lot about, which hopefully means I can create a more believable film. I was wanting to shoot a timelapse of a sunrise this morning as well, but i couldn’t force myself to wake up so early. At least I have been able to do some more research on the correct settings needed and also the equipment and software I need as well.
Now that I have finished my matte painting there are a few things which could have been changed. One thing that i could have altered was the light source in the photo. I feel this would have made it feel more realistic if there was a clear source of light that produced shadows.
Another thing which i would of like to do is place some sort of object in the bottom right corner of the image. I was told my image needed nothing else but I feel that it appears too bland and boring, so maybe if i had placed a burned out car or tank this would have helped.
it would have also been nice to make the buildings in my scene look more destroyed by erasing part of the building and placing a ruined building in the layer below. It would have been easy enough to do but unfortunately i had forgotten to do this.
This is my animated matte painting. I have made fog come in at the bottom of the photo aswell as increasing the smokes density to make it appear as if it is rising from the fires it came from. There are also a few birds in the distance which fly off the scene.
This is my final matte painting. Which does contain match colour but is only active on the buildings/bridge. I have also added a soldier on the bridge, although hard to see he is definately there, and he looks directly into the camera. I also added moss to the buildings creating the feeling that this place has not been lived in for a while. there is also fog in the bottom of the photo which I added for the animation. I also erased what existed of the old photo under the bridge giving it a more realistic look.
Once again i’ve done alot since last time. I have darkened the sky and once again fiddled with the colours. I made the smoke blend in more as well. I also added uprights and suspension wires to make the bridge (brooklyn) look far more realistic and i am very happy with the outcome. I also decided to spice up the background some more by adding a destroyed cityscape. I think it looks effective and shows how distressed the landscape has become.
Forgot to post for a wee while… Alot has changed since i last posted. Changes include the addition of a pillar and another section of bridge to make it look more like a bridge. the overall darkening of the matte painting and the removal and addition of another planet. I also messed about with the colours quite a bit to give the image a fantastically darker and more dystopian look. I also added smoke in the background
I forgot to mention in the last post that i had changed the grass back to green. I felt it was too overpowering for a photo that was meant to look dead. I also forgot to mention the two planets added in the top left corner of the photo. in this step here i decided to board the windows and smash some of the glass. This was done by using vanishing point along with “overlay” on the glass; i also chose to move the flag to a more appropriate position on top of the building.
I used various techniques to achieve what has been done so far in my matte painting. I have added propaganda posters to the side of the bridge and also a large banner on the side of the building in the background. Done by using vanishing point. I also created the flag by using a destroyed flag and cloning the colour onto the destroyed part. I have also added a part of brooklyn bridge. This took a while as i had to cut it out of its surroundings. I also used the polygonal lassoo tool here to make the ends of the bridge look like they have been ripped apart.